Women have traditionally played an important role in Broadway’s economic and industrial advancement. Broadway’s first postmistress was Mrs. Lillian Basore in 1869. Mrs. Mary E. Pugh served in 1885, and again in 1893. Miss Sallie W. Pugh began a 10 month term in November, 1917.
In October, 1880, the name was officially changed from Broadway Depot to Broadway Post Office. For unrecorded reasons, the post office was closed from March 8, 1882 until June 15, 1882. It was reestablished after June 15 with John Beard as postmaster.
The Broadway Post Office changed locations several times over the years. Finally, on November 17, 1962, it found a permanent home: a newly constructed building on the corner of Miller and Central Streets.