Shortly after the Civil War, a land transaction took place near the railroad tracks in the newly formed town of Broadway. On October 13, 1873, Mr. William Minnick gave Mr. John Quincy Winfield his asking price for the land –$25.00. Shortly after the purchase, Minnick began to construct a large, two story building.
Minnick crafted the building with smooth, flat rocks that lay by the riverbed of the Linville Creek, which flowed nearby. His two-story house had a classic German design with twelve rooms, a basement and an attic.
He called his grand construction the Minnick hotel. Later on, he added several buildings outside the hotel, including a slaughterhouse, a wagon shop, and a blacksmith shop – Minnick was well known for his skills as a smithy.
Minnick also owned the building beside the hotel – a saloon. Both the hotel and the saloon were situated in a prime location for business: by the railroad track. Apparently quite a few rough customers frequented his establishments. Legend has it that Minnick kept a black bear tied to a white oak tree between the buildings. This “security system” assured complete order and control among his patrons!
But despite the great location and the grand hotel, Minnick was not able to pay his bills. In the spring of 1874, he declared bankruptcy. His hotel was sold at a public auction, and bought by David Rolston. Twenty days later, it was sold again to Sarah Steigel for the sum of $1,355.
Steigel converted the hotel into a boarding house and allowed the Minnicks to stay on as hired help. Mr. Minnick was the blacksmith and Mrs. Minnick cooked the meals. Within the year, Steigle went into partnership with George Hoover, and the hotel name was changed to Hoover Hotel.
The Hoover Hotel was quite an establishment. In addition to the usual amenities, the hotel boasted a barbershop and a lady’s hat shop. The barber was a man named “Pegleg” Callahan who was apparently handy with a razor but not with bookkeeping. Later occupants of the hotel found many of Callahan’s records scratched on the walls of the shop.
Hoover died in the late 1800’s, and his son took over the hotel. He changed the name to Arlington Hotel. Apparently, “Arlington” was a combination hotel and boarding house. It was open for almost a decade when the property was again sold to Melvin Sandy. When Sandy bought the place in 1908, so many people were living in the hotel that local residents called it “The Beehive.”
The property was sold several more times before it was converted into the Marion Sandy residence. The former Arlington Hotel still stands by the railroad track in Broadway.